Election results spark protests and discontent

Spencer Platt

A group of protesters line up outside Trump Tower in New York a day after the election. Across the country, concerned and upset citizens came out in droves to voice their discontent with the election results.

Risheek Priyadarshi, Editor-in-Chief

On Nov. 9, the election results were announced in favor of the new President-elect Donald Trump. Winning by the majority electoral vote, Trump has caused major protests because Secretary Hillary Clinton had won the popular vote, but still did not win the election. Protests were initially peaceful, but have gotten increasingly violent and frequent.

Before the election results came out and Trump’s poll numbers were down, Trump essentially claimed that he would not accept the results of the election because he felt it was rigged against him. Clinton supporters said that no matter what, the election results had to be accepted and respected at all costs. Ironically, the moment the election results came out, Clinton supporters began protesting, saying that Trump is, “Not my president”.

The first protests started on college campuses. Students from universities such as the University of California at Davis (UCD), University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA), University of California at San Diego (UCSD), University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB), University of Southern California (USC), and University of Pittsburgh all protested the election results the night of and day after the election. At UCLA, students burned a Trump pinata and attempted to flip a car, only to realize someone was actually inside it. The protests spilled onto the freeway at UCSD and one protester was hit and injured by a car.

Anti-Trump sentiment traveled from college campuses all the way to Fremont high schools. Across from Irvington, a group of students from Robertson High School rallied together and protested Trump’s victory.

The protests have recently taken a turn towards violence. One protest called for the rape of Melania Trump right outside the Trump Tower in New York. In another, a building was burned down.

Clinton called for her supporters to accept the election results and keep an open mind about the future. Regardless of what she said, tension continues to build over the election.