The student-created online news source for Irvington High School | Fremont, CA

The Voice

Munch on Mochi

Wholefoods has opened a brand new self serving mochi bar

There are 12 different flavors for the ice cream mochi

Annika Yong

Annika Yong

Annika Yong, Staff Writer

Are you craving ice cream, but want to elevate the overall experience of eating the already fabulous dessert? Mochi ice cream is a Japanese dessert made of a ball of ice cream wrapped in a layer of the traditional chewy and sticky rice cake known as mochi. Sounds appealing, right? If you want to try this innovative twist on a traditional Japanese treat, you’re in luck. Wholefoods Supermarket has opened new mochi ice cream bars in the self-serving areas of its locations in Fremont, CA and Wheaton, IL. Wholefoods’s mochi is very expensive; the treat is smaller than the palm of a hand and costs $2 apiece and $20 for a dozen pieces. However, from my observations, the mochi bar  is quite popular and constantly attracts customers, and for good reason. There are loads of flavors available, including: strawberry, pistachio, lychee, blueberry, passion fruit, vanilla, chocolate vanilla, green tea, mango, and guava. At first,  when I held the frozen, stone-like mochi covered in artificial coloring, I didn’t have any high expectations about the texture and the taste. I thought the mochi was going to lack its signature chewiness, and I predicted overly sweet and unnatural flavors from the  ice cream. However, when I tried the mochi, it absolutely exceeded my expectations. It was chewy while providing subtle flavors that specifically matched the flavor of the ice cream  The ice cream was also delicious, as it was smooth and creamy,  tasted completely natural, and was high quality. The fruit flavors were refreshing, flavorful, natural. and totally worth the $2 price. Although, I suggest eating the mochi after a couple of minutes from buying in order to let it soften to make it easier to bite into. Out of all the flavors that I tried, I concluded that the lychee and vanilla ice cream flavors were the best.

If you want to treat your family or friends during a special occasion, consider this tasty, refreshing japanese dessert. Anyone who likes ice cream and the special mild toughness and stickiness of mochi will definitely enjoy it. Without exaggeration, the texture of the mochi and the fantastic, natural flavor of the ice cream certainly makes this combination heavenly.

• Entertainment

Be Original, They Said

• Entertainment

Commedia and Mime Show a Smashing Success

• Munch on Mochi

Entertainment

Super Mario Odyssey: a great way to “cap” off the mario games of 2017

• Munch on Mochi

Entertainment

DIY: Pinterest-Inspired Dog Costumes

• Munch on Mochi

Entertainment

Upcoming Events In Fremont This Fall

• Munch on Mochi

Entertainment

It’s More Circle than Golden

• Munch on Mochi

Entertainment

A heaven of a good time

• Munch on Mochi

Entertainment

Homecoming Halftime Show Review

• Munch on Mochi

Entertainment

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is a real blast

• Munch on Mochi

Entertainment

Local Summer Activities

Munch on Mochi