Lee Ann Denyer: News Anchor

Megan Dhingra, Staff Writer

Lee Ann Denyer, a news anchor in New York, has made a successful career for herself after graduating from Irvington in 2007. After high school, she went to the University of Oregon for Journalism, then got an internship at KGO in ABC7 in San Francisco for two years. Then, she went to the University of Missouri for her master’s degree and was hired by NBC5 soon after.

Denyer is thankful for the opportunities she has working with NBC5, a news station that covers all of Vermont and part of New York and New Hampshire.

“Over the last few years, I’ve sort of become the utility player in the newsroom, so I really like that I have the opportunity to do that.” says Denyer.

She performs a variety of tasks including filling out the main newscast, going out and reporting, and even shooting stories by herself. She has seen various things out in the field while working with NBC5 for four years.

“I covered a really deadly helicopter crash that got caught in some power lines, which was just devestating. I’ve also met some recovered heroine addicts that are now raising their babies. It’s awesome that they fought through that,” said Denyer. “Getting to meet and talk to all these people has been really awesome.”

Denyer’s decision to be a news anchor was primarily based on exposure to news when she was younger. Her parents watched the news frequently so it was always on when she was growing up. From there, she decided that being a news anchor was what she wanted to do. Denyer is glad that she chose this job and would not choose another one if given the opportunity.

“There’s so much [I enjoy about being a news anchor]. It’s really a lifestyle which is both good and bad. You’re always on call, you’re always doing something,” said Denyer. “You get to have these really intimate conversations with people about good things in their lives and about really bad things in their lives. Getting to spend a little bit of time with all sorts of people has really been a joy. I think it’s really special.”

While she didn’t participate in journalism-related activities in High School, Denyer says the other activities she did at Irvington taught her skills that help with her career, and that she really enjoyed her time at highschool.

“My group of friends from Irvington are still my group of friends. I loved my time doing the plays, doing the musicals, doing the dramas,” said Denyer.

Denyer says the performance element of her job came from that what she learned in IHS. Drama taught her how to adapt to situations and put her nerves aside, which is a huge part of being a news anchor.

Denyer offers valuable insight and advice for high schoolers from what she learned from her years at Irvington.

“I think it’s important to remember that just because you’re not a straight A student, doesn’t mean you can’t have an awesome career ahead of you that maybe looks different than some of your classmates.”