Disappearing New Year’s Resolutions

Nancy Zuo, Staff Writer

“New year, new me,” right? Wrong! Though we all have made new year’s resolutions, how often do they actually stick? Realistically, losing weight, working out, and eating healthy are promising resolutions that will most definitely not happen (at least this year). One simply cannot be a nicer person by being friendlier, going out to do charity work, or treating family better with a mere Instagram caption with a New Year’s resolution. The reality: creating resolutions are for bragging to friends, and not for ourselves.

On the first day after New Year’s, individuals often start very strong and feel great that they have committed to a life-long goal. Especially those people who take the liberty to remind the world of their goal by posting on social media platforms. After the first week of not remembering to do the resolution, it’s still alllllll good. Starting tomorrow or on the weekend is always acceptable. After all, it’s the intention of the resolution that really counts, and there is still plenty of time throughout the year to make the resolution a reality.

After a month, however, the memory of the resolution begins to fade. As with all things like taking a final exam at the end of a semester, our brain fails to remember events naturally, so it’s just a natural process of forgetting. But no worries. We are biologically predisposed to remember events that are of true importance, and the resolution simply does not live up to that.

But, as another month passes, any existence of a resolution has been wiped out. Why need a resolution when goals can be set at any point in the year? Time is a facade, and months are just an indicator to remind us not to waste too much of our lives.

There’s no reason to have a resolution, afterall. As with any goal, there’s always next year, and the year after, and the year after that. But then it’s suddenly December again and the cycle just repeats. Even if it’s not a new year and a new you, at least it’s a new year.