Developments Around Fremont Ramp Up

The+approved+Osgood+Residences+will+neighbor+the+Irvington+BART+Station.+

City of Fremont

The approved Osgood Residences will neighbor the Irvington BART Station.

Sahil Saxena, Business Manager

As the Warm Springs/South Fremont BART Station continues to pull in more commuters and traffic, new developments of more than 2 million square feet and 5,400 housing units, in total, are spreading across Fremont.

In the Centerville, Downtown and City Center, and Irvington districts of Fremont, a combined 11 new housing projects have either been approved or started construction. According to urban planner, Carla Violet, the approved Irvington BART Station will accompany the new housing projects.

“The [Irvington BART Station] is moving forward again because funding was secured in 2014 when Alameda County voters passed Measure BB,” Violet said. “Future housing development and population growth in the area would occur with or without the new Irvington BART station, but having the station will ensure that the future residents of these new housing developments have a BART station they can walk to instead of adding their cars to the already-congested streets of Fremont.”

Around the Warm Springs community, construction of around 4,000 housing units, industrial research and development buildings (as part of the Warm Springs Technology Center), and Tesla’s manufacturing plant has begun to occupy much of the empty land in the area. The rapid development also prompted the construction of an elementary school, to be named after Lila Bringhurst, west of the Warm Springs/South Fremont BART station. Fremont Unified School District gathered with the area’s three developers, Lennar Homes, Toll Brothers, and Fairfield Residential, to host the groundbreaking of the new school on Sept 27.

“Our thanks to the City of Fremont and our developer partners for all their work in making this school possible,” FUSD Superintendent Dr. Kim Wallace said. “This partnership serves as a model for what can be accomplished when different entities come together to achieve a common goal of supporting students, residents and community as a whole.”