MECHA Continues Pancake Breakfast Tradition

This+year+was+MECHAs+first+time+hosting+the+pancake+breakfast+in+December.+

Albert Zhu

This year was MECHA’s first time hosting the pancake breakfast in December.

Albert Zhu, Staff Writer

Irvington’s MECHA Club hosted the annual Pancake Breakfast on Saturday, Dec. 13 from 7 to 10 a.m. in the cafeteria, where students and parents enjoyed an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet.

In addition to the breakfast bar featuring pancakes, scrambled eggs, french toast, and coffee, there were loudspeakers filling the room with both pop and Christmas music and a photo booth. The cafeteria was decked with holiday streamers, adding to the event’s relaxing holiday aura. Approximately forty people attended the event, including students, parents, and teachers.  

“Besides the students, there were also a lot of outside people and families, and some of Irvington’s sports teams also came out,” MECHA officer Natalie Trinh,who was in charge of organizing the pancake breakfast, said. “The diverse turnout made it a really enjoyable event for everyone.”

Aside from the food, students and family were also able to enjoy a relaxing time to socialize and bond with their peers through games such as ping pong and pool.

“My favorite part was beating my friends in pool, and the food and music were also pretty good,” said sophomore Musa Quddus. “I would definitely come again next year.”

The pancake breakfast, an annual MECHA tradition, was started to fund senior scholarships.

“We first started seven years ago, and we kept it going because we noticed that a lot of sports teams enjoyed coming for a fun bonding experience,” MECHA President Ariadne Cancino, said.

Although MECHA was not able to host the breakfast last year due to scheduling conflicts, they were determined to ensure its return this year, and moved the date from November to December to accommodate.

“Through moving the event one month back, we were able to have more time to relieve the stress of preparing,” Trinh said “Also, because we made it in December, we could make it holiday-themed, which was an idea that everyone liked.”

This year, the money from ticket sales will be used to help fund the MECHA end-of-year Disneyland trip and continue to help out graduating MECHA seniors through scholarships.